St. Thomas of Canterbury
14 Blenheim Road
Deal CT14 7DB
01304 367 496
HISTORY of CHURCH
Building work began on the Church in January 1885. Fr James Scratton OSB had been appointed Priest in Charge in Deal in 1869, and for 15 years had worked to raise funds for the erection of a permanent Church in Deal.
He died in April 1884 and was succeeded by Mgr Ladislaus Daniewski, who had been Chaplain to the Monastery of the Visitation in Walmer, where the Chapel of the Sacred Heart was completed in 1890.
The Chapel was given to the Parish in 1971.
The Church was officially opened on the Feast of St Thomas of Canterbury, 29th December 1885, by the Bishop of Southwark, the Rt Reverend John Butt.
In 1926 Deal was raised to the status of a Parish, Fr Wonnacott becoming the first Parish Priest of Deal for nearly 400 years.
St Thomas’ was consecrated on 8th August 1928 by Bishop Peter Amigo.
In 2008 Father Duncan Lourensz became the eighth Parish Priest for Deal.